(Posted August 12, 2021. Posting open until filled.)
Under general supervision of the Contract / Procurement Analyst and within their delegated procurement authority, the Procurement Specialist 3 (PS3), at the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD), provides a variety of procurement tasks & services to efficiently purchase materials, supplies, equipment and services to support DWSD internal departmental customers.
The Procurement Specialist 3, in accordance with DWSD’s Ethics & Procurement policies as well as the NIGP code of conduct for a Procurement Professional, is responsible for reviewing requisitions, creating and processing solicitations to ensure policy compliant contracts are issued in compliance with standard operating procedures (SOPs) to meet the needs of DWSD in an ethical, comprehensive and systematic manner. Duties also include, full contract administration services, and providing support to the Analysts and Procurement team members as needed.
Per DWSD’s needs, PS3 team members are required to learn, follow, train and guide others in Federal, State and City level procurement requirements, best practices and guidelines, as applicable. Adherence to all applicable DWSD, City, State and Federal ordinances, rules and regulations, division policies, standard operating procedures and DWSD’s “The Way We Work” rules is mandatory.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Reviews requisitions, specifications, conducts market analysis, prepares and with supervisor approval, publishes solicitations, tabulates response and verifies responsiveness, compliance, requests recommendations and seeks required approvals to ensure a fair & transparent process, an appropriate vendor’s selection, and contracts executed per DWSD’s Ethics, Procurement and other relevant policies. Additionally, job responsibilities include but are not limited to, contract administration, liaison between internal customers and suppliers for issue resolution, and contract life-cycle management activities. Security and safety policies and procedures must be adhered to in carrying out work duties.
RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Position may be called upon to direct specific project activities or to work as a team member.
- Analyze data, verify supporting justification, prepare graphs, charts and other statistical records.
- Represent DWSD in vendor outreach activities and maybe required to represent at professional
- Participate in DWSD’s Annual Physical Inventory
- Perform related work duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Clerical and office protocol, records management and using standard office equipment safely
- Principles of public procurement, Contract law, and related legal aspects of public procurement
- Federal, State, & City regulations for Public Procurement
- Solicitations, negotiations, contract analysis, contract terms & conditions, policies and ordinances
- Contract life cycle administration, AP reconciliation, change management
- Industry standard methods, and practices involved with the logistics, delivery, inspection, testing and receipts of materials/ supplies / services and working knowledge of Accounts Payable (internal) & Accounts Receivable (vendor) functions
- Provide courteous customer service and solutions to customer issues through professionalism, problem- solving and data based, ethical decision-making
- Work effectively in a team-based, flexible workforce environment with minimal supervision
- Work effectively, with minimal supervision, independently on regular tasks & assigned deliverables
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with appropriate attention to detail, correct syntax, grammar and spelling
- Efficiently manage procurement timelines, multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Produce professional quality memos, letters, documents, solicitations, etc. with accuracy, attention to detail and timeliness
- Conduct effective meetings, presentations, and build supporting documentation into each contract files
- Build strong working relationships to effectively and efficiently conduct business
- Motivate, train, support and develop teamwork among staff and lead solicitation / evaluation teams
- Utilize computers and software, including but not limited to, MS Office suite, ERP systems, Adobe, Lucid Chart / Visio, conduct web searches, navigate online e-procurement platforms, sourcing platforms (eg: MITN), etc. proficiently
- Understand and follow verbal and written instructions in a professional manner
- Review requisitions and confer with customers regarding minimum qualifications requirements, specifications, warranties, forecasted volumes, timelines, etc. as needed, to build a robust solicitation that ensures appropriate delivery of goods and/ services
- Apply industry standard methods to locate sources of supply, and compile relevant data
- Conduct price studies and market analyses
- Prepare and process solicitations per requisition and procedural requirements
- Conduct supplier meetings, walk-throughs, site visits, start-work meetings, issue resolution meetings, etc. with courtesy & professionalism
- Tabulate & verify solicitation responses received for standard and non-standard items
- Review discrepancies during the procurement process with the Contract / Procurement Analyst
- Negotiate pricing, viable terms & conditions and best value for DWSD’s benefit
- Recommend approval of contracts ensuring compliance with applicable Finance directives, existing policies, and ordinances
- Award contracts and complete change orders along with the necessary follow-up and expediting activities to ensure delivery as required
- Generate and respond to correspondence regarding solicitations, requisitions, cancellation of orders, change inquiries, change orders, status / updates, and adjustments to internal customers /supplier inquiries by telephone or writing
- Assist in the preparation of Standard Operating Procedures, Work Instructions, Forms, training and the strategic procurement plan
- Liaise between internal customers and suppliers for issue resolution, by utilizing Contract terms and conditions
- Administer contracts after award through contract life-cycle management activities
- Cover deliverables for the Procurement / Contract Analyst or Procurement Specialists during absences
- Effectively utilize appropriate security and safety equipment and procedures
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (position requirements at entry)
- Bachelor's degree; with ideally, a specialization in Business, Public Administration, Finance, or a Purchasing-related field
- Minimum 5 years of recent experience in Public Procurement and related activities as associated with procuring commodities, services, and contracts with evidence of progressive responsibility
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Environmental Working Requirements:
- Work is performed in an office or plant environment with exposure to computer screens and noise
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License
- Ability to work irregular hours, to commute to DWSD facilities and work sites, and respond to after hour emergencies and on-call responses
For more information and to apply, www.detroitmi.gov/employmentContact: April Anders April.Anders@detroitmi.gov
(Posted June 18, 2021.)
Have an Opportunity to Post?
To post job opportunities, please email the following information to email@example.com